Still Running!

New location. New roads. New lessons.

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Perky

I was on the treadmill today, next to me was this young and "perky" college girl. I must admit, I miss those days of looking so young and fit. At first, my competitive nature wanted to kick in and show this chick up. But my old body just wasn't up for the challenge today. As I glanced over at her progress, I saw she would hit her stride for about one "lap around the track" then have to walk. Not sure if she was speed training or not, but I covered the same distance as she did in slightly less time. I am a slow and steady runner (I do use that term loosely). I had just been to Bible study and this whole treadmill deal gave me a clearer picture of what I learned earlier this morning. We have been studying "The Vine and the branches" in John 15. When I try to muscle through life my own way, doing everything that I want to do, when I want to do it and by my own energy- that is living a self-centered life and am not abiding/remaining in Jesus. I am running quickly, burning out, and having to walk, or even have a seat on the curb, when those challenges in life hit. When I abide/remain in Jesus (studying His Word, praying, fellowship w/ others, worshiping Him, etc.), then I am living a Spirit-led life. By doing so, when the time for pruning comes (from God, the gardner, in the form of trials, difficult people, etc) rather than being sent reeling and ending up frustrated and bitter, I am able to realize what is happening and embrace the work God is doing in my life. In doing so, eternal fruit will be produced. It will be displayed in a patient and joyful disposition that awaits the "spring" and the growth of even sweeter fruit. With all that said, running at a slow, steady pace is like living the Spirit-led life. I will not run out of breath. I will have the energy stores to make it up the next hill whenever it arises, and rarely will I have to sit down on the curb. Gotta love that!!

No comments:

Post a Comment